Swamp

Swamp

Thursday, December 5, 2013

My dear sweet boy,

You continue to amaze, impress and delight me, and there are days when I truly couldn't be more proud of you.

Of course...there are also days when I feel like I must be doing everything wrong, but I'm starting to see that if we can push through those struggles, the other side is amazing.

As you may or may not remember by the time you read this, you skipped preschool.  Basically, I really just wanted one more year with you before the demands and restrictions of school interfered, so knowing that you had learned so much during your years at daycare, Daddy and I kept you home. 

Convinced that we were doing the best thing, I was still a bit concerned that you might feel "behind" when you start kindergarten next year, and it is very important to me that you get the best start possible to your school career because I want you to continue to love to learn.  So, based on a random recommendation from a friend, I decided to teach you to read this fall -- after all, if you can read, you can learn anything. 

More importantly, as we've slogged through the lessons I've realized that the ability to read will offer you infinitely more than confidence in kindergarten.  This will sound a bit melodramatic, but I now feel like if anything happens to me before you're a grown man, I have helped you to learn the most important skill possible -- the ability to get to know God and His will for you through His Word.

It has been a very bumpy road.  We've had some amazing ups -- like when you read your first book or your first billboard, but many serious downs...crying, throwing, screaming, telling me you hate me and the book, telling me I'm the worst mom ever, losing all your shows for days on end...  Basically, I'm not the best teacher in the world and you do not like to be told what to do -- it's been interesting.

But today it was all worth it.  We were about half way through the sentences on lesson 86 (only 14 more to go!!!!), when you looked up, wide-eyed and said, "Mommy, I am so glad you bought me this book!"

Charlie, I cannot tell you how much that means to me.  As your mom, I am sure that I am inferring much more than your four year old little heart could have meant, but I heard that you realize that hard work begets success, that you recognize that Mommy & Daddy want what is best for you and will make you work for it, that you see that everything I do for you I do out of tremendous love and that you understand the importance of gratitude. 

You will likely never remember today or possibly even that we learned to read together...but please know that I couldn't be more pleased with the little boy you are or more grateful for the blessing of you.

Love,
Mommy



No comments:

Post a Comment