Swamp

Swamp

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Omnipotent?

I imagine I'm not the only Christian who has read verses like Philippians 4:13 or Mark 7:7 and taken them to mean that if I believe in Jesus I can have anything I want -- though I might be the only one who has read Matthew 18:19 and woken her husband up at dawn telling him that she found the key and if he'll pray with her right then, God will give them a baby (circa 2006...).
 
The thing is, that is clearly what some of the those verses seem to say, right?  "Ask, and it shall be given to you...";  "I can do all things through Christ..." 
 
So, why don't I get whatever I want?  I know that God is sovereign and has control over absolutely everything that happens in this world -- so since I believe this and have put my hope for eternity in the life, death and resurrection of His Son, why do I still have some unanswered prayers?
 
Again, I imagine that I'm not the only one who has wondered this or struggled with the newsflash that (gasp!), it's not all about me!  God's plan is perfect and as Romans 8:28 says, "all things work together for good", but could it be that what I want isn't what's best???  That maybe my desires are short-sighted, blind to bigger truths and (perish the thought) selfish???
 
Throughout this summer Corrisa's and my Monday night Bible Study has focused on individual verses that Christians commonly lean on for comfort, but often misunderstand because they are taken out of context of either the passage or the entire Bible. 
 
In an effort to clear up the apparent disconnect between the fact that I do have faith in God, but still don't get my way all the time, this week we dug into Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me" and the notes are below (just in case there happens to be anyone else out there who has it all figured out and just can't understand why God doesn't agree...)
 
Does faith in God mean I can do anything I want? have my heart's desire?
  "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me" Philippians 4:13
  • What are "all things"?
    • Context: Paul is writing to Philippian believers from Roman prison
    • 4:1-23 is the conclusion of the letter
      • Focuses on specific instruction for some church members in disagreement (4:1-3)
      • Encourages Philippians to rejoice and not worry (4:4-7)
      • Reminds Philippians of the importance of focusing on "good" things, not the world (4:8-9)
      • Thanks Philippians for supporting Paul financially/practically (4:10-20)
      • Concludes letter (4:21-23)
    • 4:10-20: Philippians have been concerned with Paul's well-being (4:10) and provided for him financially (4:17)
      • Paul is grateful for their support (4:10)
      • Paul is confident in God's provision with or without their support (4:11-12)
      • Paul knows that he can handle any level of wealth or lack thereof with God's help (4:13)
    • 4:13 - Paul refers to his ability to handle any circumstances in which God places him, not to his ability to do anything Paul, himself, wishes with God's help
  • Does this mean believers are not capable of doing "all things" with God's help?
    • Matthew 7:20 - Disciples failed to exorcise demons because of their lack of faith -- Jesus says they could move mountains with just a little
    • Mark 11:23-24 - Jesus speaks and a fig tree whithers following triumphal entry
  • So do "strong/faithful" believers get anything they ask for from God?
    • Luke 17:6 - maybe?
    • Mark 9:23 - yes?
    • John 11:40 - the focus/purpose/goal of truly faithful believers is the glory of God
      • How does this purpose impact what believers ask for in prayer? (Matthew 6:10; 7:7,11)
  • What satisfies a "faithful" believer? (Jeremiah 31:14)
  • Conclusion: Believers can absolutely "do all things" through [Christ] who strengthens them" but God's faithful are satisfied with His goodness/His will/His commands and their desire is to see His glory, not their own; so God enables them to do all "good" things which are the things that will result in His glory as part of His perfect plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment