Swamp

Swamp

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Definitely Top 3

In a family of talkers it's probably unwise to classify "favorite" conversations, but this one is no doubt in my top three -- right up there with the romantic proposal in a hot air balloon floating over Lake Winnebago in July 2003 and the one-sided assurance that yes we were in fact pregnant, and no I wasn't crazy as Jason sat in stunned silence in July of 2008.

I was sitting on the bed Sunday afternoon, when Charlie climbed up and nestled in next to me...

Charlie: Mommy, I love you.  Will you marry me?
Mommy:  Oh, Sweetie, I love you too, but I can't marry you.  I'm married to Daddy.  Someday you'll find someone wonderful to marry -- just make me two promises.
Charlie: What?
Mommy: First, make sure she loves God.  And second, make sure she is your very, very best friend in the whole world.
Charlie: You're my best friend.  Will you marry me?
Mommy: Oh Buddy, I love you so much, and trust me someday you're going to find someone that you love much, much more than you love Mommy...  (sniff...sniff)

No comments:

Post a Comment