Swamp

Swamp

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Babies, Babies, Babies...

This has been the most amazing week for babies!  In the past four days we have had friends going through every imaginable baby "stage", so of course, I have babies on the brain. 

Not that I often go very long without babies on the brain, but this week has really emphasized to me how central they are to life: after all, we all started there, and to its purpose: the quest for eternal life.

As any frequent reader knows, I believe with my whole heart that God created us to glorify Him, thereby sharing His truth with others, so that they, too, can have eternal life through Him.  Because alone, we are doomed: "For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 6:23)

Through the lives of dear friends over the past four days Jason and I have seen over and over again that God gives us babies not only to cuddle and love, but to help us learn about Him and His purpose for us:
  • P - giving birth to Jack, her little "doll," Sunday afternoon: "Behold, children are a gift of the LORD, The fruit of the womb is a reward." (Psalm 127:3)
  • A - going back to work on Monday after 12 weeks home with sweet baby B: "She considers a field and buys it; From her earnings she plants a vineyard...a woman who fears the LORD, she shall be praised. Give her the product of her hands, And let her works praise her in the gates." (Proverbs 31:16, 30-31)
  • K - entering her third trimester with her precious twins on Tuesday: "For You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother’s womb." (Psalm 139:13)
  • C&C - meeting their long-desired R Wednesday afternoon and bringing him home by the weekend, a perfect picture of God's love for us: "He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will" (Ephesians 1:5)
  • And sadly, K & J - losing their baby boy and all the hopes they'd placed in him, but continuing to proclaim God's love amidst their pain: "The LORD is near to the brokenhearted
    And saves those who are crushed in spirit." (Psalm 34:18)

And this doesn't even account for at least six other family members and friends we have who through various struggles and miracles are currently expecting. 

I know that God teaches us not only through His word, but also through the people and situations in our lives, but I have to admit that I rarely recognize it the way I have this week. 

Even in Jason's and my own hopes for more baby stages in our own life to bring us more of the blessings of the past few years... "But as for me, I will hope continually, And will praise You yet more and more." (Psalm 71:14) 


Charlie at 6 1/2 weeks
Our flashing Kidney Bean

 Charlie at 17 weeks
Our Little Alien 

Charlie at 5 minutes
Our Baby Boy

Charlie at 2 years, 7 months, 8 days
Our Little Man


3 comments:

  1. Precious post; God is Great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny - this post brought me to tears...thank you sweet friend! I especially loved the Bible verses that correlated with each individual and their particular situation. Babies, babies, babies...perfect post! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was perfect! Thank you for sharing your heart, love of the Lord, and putting in all in perspective! We are here to honor and glorify Him! I too LOVE the scripture!!! We love you guys and can't wait for you to meet sweet baby Reid!

    ReplyDelete