Swamp

Swamp

Monday, August 1, 2011

Book Worm

It all started with Big Bird...as Charlie is finally starting to pay attention to TV (more than just Tropicana commercials, that is), I wonder how many times I'm going to type those 6 words, but anyway... It all started with Big Bird getting a library card last Monday. 

After insisting that I put on Sesame Street, Charlie actually watched rather than coming into the kitchen and begging for candy, and he was fascinated when Big Bird got a library card.  So much so, that he wanted to know all about the library, and once he heard that it was a huge building full of books, he was hooked and I was elated.  Having spent the majority of my formative years locked in my room gobbling up novels, I would dearly love for Charlie to be a little book worm -- and since he clearly inherited his Dad's social butterfly tendencies and charm, I think there is little risk of him crossing over into "nerd" territory as his mom did...

So we set a date, and Saturday morning Charlie and I set off for the library.  First, we applied for our library cards (yes, I'm embarassed to admit that we've lived here five years and this was my first time to step foot in the library...despite the facts that I'm incredibly cheap and never reread anything other than the Bible and Jane Austen, I like to own my books). 

Once the forms were filled out, we ventured into the children's book section and picked out 4 dinosaur books and "Diapers Aren't Forever".  Then, hoping to maximize both Charlie's library experience and his interest in the knight costume I just bought for the upcoming Fairy Tale Ball at school, we went back up to the counter to ask about any knight related story books.  While the librarian checked the computer, Charlie actually sat down in the middle of the floor to start reading...I couldn't have been more proud.

Finally, we added "The Kiss that Missed" to the pile, checked out our treasures and concluded our first trip to the library.  I'm fairly sure that we read each of our six books 15 or so times over the weekend, and when I wondered aloud to Jason what made these books so neat, Charlie immediately piped in, "They're from the library!"

Now, assuming that I remember to return and/or recheck our books by August 20, the entire experience will be a rousing success!


Filling out the application

Ready to Read!

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome he's so intrigued with books at this age!!

    ReplyDelete