Swamp

Swamp

Friday, September 17, 2010

Doctor, Doctor

Yesterday morning I had to rush through work to make it to my checkup in the afternoon.  Oddly, as I raced around getting things done, I found myself chipper and excited...what?!?!?  I giggled when I finally realized that I hadn't been to the doctor since it was fun!

Flashback 2 years, up to 18 months ago and the monthly, then biweekly, then weekly doctor appointments were great!  Other than watching the weights on the scale slide waaaay too far to the right and that one chocolate milkshake lecture, everything about it was fun.  My blood pressure was always remarkably low, making me feel like I'd accomplished something -- though heaven only knows how I thought I could take credit for that -- and hearing the heartbeat was like having an early conversation with my little miracle.  Each time, as soon as I got to the car I would call Jason and Mom to recap the wonderful experience.  The anticipation and excitement of these visits were some of the highlights of my pregnancy.

Fast forward to yesterday and the sole explanation I have is the fact that my only visits to the doctor since Charlie was born were at 6 weeks, when all the doctors and nurses oohed and aahed over my precious little man, and at 6 months when everyone complimented me on no longer tipping the scales at 170+!  I guess all of these positive memories kind of bled into yesterday...then of course, I got there.

While I am still a big fan of Carolina Women's Care, the nurses weren't nearly as excited to see me (nor did they remember me as well), since I wasn't expecting.  Not to go into details, but there certainly was nothing as pleasant in store as hearing a brand new heartbeat.  Though, I have to admit that I did call Mom from the car to celebrate weighing in left of 140 (fully clothed and with a full bladder I might add!).  Otherwise, yeah, it was just the same old annual visit I've dreaded since I was 13...

Now, all of that said, the afternoon and evening were much more fun than 18 to 24 months ago.  Rather than spending an exhausted evening punctuated only by regular attempts to heave myself out of the recliner and race-waddle to the powder room to rid myself of the latest 16 oz of water I had forced myself to drink, I enjoyed a yogurt snack and coloring with Charlie, along with with a hot bath and a glass of wine with Jason...  All in all, I have to say that a fabulous evening does outweigh a fabulous doctor visit.

It's great for the complexion...


No comments:

Post a Comment