Swamp

Swamp

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

"Mom"

Charlie inherited a lot more than just his good looks from his Daddy.  He also inherited the gift of perfect timing! 

As I whined about last week, I am struggling with the transition from Baby to Toddler -- feeling a bit nostalgic for the infant days.  In response to my case of the Mommy blues, my clever little boy pulled out all the stops on Saturday morning...he finally said "Mom".

And with Charlie it's not Mama or Mommy or really even Mom -- it actually sounds like a cross between Mome (rhymes with home) and Mum (apparently his British ancestry is coming through!).

And each time he says it, he leaves his lips tightly together afterwards and snickers.  The little stinker knew exactly what he was doing over the past couple months when he said Dada, Donna, Dog-dog, Mooo, etc...but not "Mama".  He was just waiting for the perfect moment to ensure that his first utterance of the magical word would be not only noticed, but would gain him the world.  Clever little devil!

As if I weren't already wrapped tightly around his little finger, this made it even worse.  Objectively, I should probably resent the fact that my one year old is already not only trying to play me, but succeeding -- but I have to admit I find it adorable and take a wacky pride in his ability to read me and pull my strings.  I'm doomed!

But back to "Mom".  I had no idea how powerful one little syllable could be.  Had I known, I would have worked much harder on "Mom" over the past few weeks.  I honestly can't put into words how amazing it feels to know that my little Charlie says my name.  Over the weekend I confronted Jason with the fact that he had never told me how amazing it felt when Charlie said "Da-da", to which his response was more or less, "duh!". 

See -- that's exactly what I mean.  These two guys both know me so well and know exactly how to handle me.  I should probably be worried, but for now I'm just loving being loved.

Hi, Mom!


Starfish Hat

1 comment: