Swamp

Swamp

Sunday, December 14, 2008

December 14, 2008

We're on your first trip to Canada.  We met Grandma up here two days ago, and over the past 48 hours Daddy has met and started to get to know all of Mommy's aunts, uncles and cousins on Grandma's side.

We came up here for your Great-grandma's memorial service which was yesterday.  Originally we planned to come primarily for moral support for Grandma, but it has really turned into a wonderful trip for Daddy and Mommy.  It's been about negative 20 to 30 degrees Celsius while we've been here, but that hasn't done anything to dampen anyone's spirits.

When I was a kid we didn't make it up here very often.  In fact, this is only my fourth trip up in my life, and my last trip was 13 1/2 years ago, when your Great-grandpa passed away.  So, in fact, I'm getting the chance to meet and get to know lots of new people, too.  Since that last trip, all of my cousins have fallen in love and most have gotten married and had kids of their own.  Yesterday at the service, there were ten kids under the age of 6 or so!  It was so much fun.

I'm hopeful that Daddy and I will be able to prioritze trips up here very 2 to 3 years (most likely in the summer) so you can meet and know this part of your family.  They will remind you a lot of Daddy's side of the family with their closeness and love of fun.  The tentative goal is to come back in the summer of 2010 for a big family reunion.  You'll be less than 18 months, but maybe we'll make it back when you're 4 or so, and 7 and so on... There is no doubt in my mind that you would love it, so we'll see what we can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment